Living in a big city in the United States has its perks, but it also has its definite setbacks; one of those setbacks being high crime rates. There are more opportunities for crime due to the fact that in big cities there is lower arrest probabilities, as well as the lower probability of recognition. For these reasons it's easier to get away with crime in such a large and urban community. So living in a big city like New York, San Francisco, Chicago, or Los Angeles gives criminals a higher opportunity to get away with their crime.
Urban density plays a huge role in crime rates. A den area area will have a much larger stream of potential victims then an empty area. It will be easier for a criminal to randomly pick a victim that will not be traced back to them in a big city then a smaller town due to the large number of people. With a highly populated city, the chances of you being the selected victim is low, but knowing all these crime factors about the city you live in, it would be a smart idea to be prepared for potential crime against you.
Crime rate tends to go up even more during the holiday season. Unfortunately criminals view the holiday season as a time of opportunity for assault and theft. It is the season to be wary of burglars, thieves, pickpockets, and other holiday grinches out there. Being preparing and protecting yourself and your home is very important during these couple next months.
Tips for protecting your home during the holiday season:
- Make sure all your doors and windows are locked properly.
- If you go on vacation, do not advertise and make it obvious you are away from your house. Make sure to use light timers and make sure you do not pile up on newspapers or mail.
- Secure your home with signs and cameras.
Tips for protecting your car during the holiday season:
- Park in a well lit, visible, and populated area.
- Do not leave any valuables visible inside the car.
- Make sure to lock all doors and have all windows rolled up and secure.
Tips for protecting yourself during the holiday season:
- Stay alert of your surroundings.
- Do your holiday shopping before dark.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
Also make sure that when you are holiday shopping and walking around, you do not overwhelm yourself with too many shopping bags. That makes it easier for assault and theft. Try to keep pepper spray or any other self defense tool on you at all times to help you if the situation were to arise. It's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to things of this matter.
Overall if you're living in a big city, be aware of the potential crime around you. Keep yourself well-informed and know the probability for crime in your area! Keep yourself and your beloveds safe and protected.